Monday, August 18, 2008

I have met the most interesting people here at the memorial. A few weeks ago I met a single woman and her young daughter at the monument. They didn't want a tour of the visitor's center but I told them about the monument and they told me that they were here to find a letterbox. This really piqued my couriosity so I asked her to tell me all about letterboxes and this is what I found out: Letterboxing is an intriguing pastime combining artistic ability with "treasure-hunts in parks, forests, and cities around the world. Participants seek out hidden letterboxes by cracking codes and following clues. The prize: a miniature piece of art known as a rubber stamp--usually a unique, hand-carved creation.
Letterboxers stamp their discoveries in a personal journal, then use their own rubber stamp, called a signature stamp, by stamping it into the logbook found with the letterbox, perhaps writing a note about the weather or their adventures in finding the letterbox.
Clues and directions on where to find letterboxes can be found on the internet at www.atlasquest.com .
This is a picture of me finding my first letterbox and a picture using the stamp that Elder Vorwaller carved for me from a pink eraser to stamp in the logbook. The letterbox I found is on the memorial site, down by the Solomon Mack foundations.




1 comment:

Nephi and Ruby Jensen said...

Love it! Can't wait to see where you hide your own Letterbox. The stamp Elder Vorwaller made is great!